[TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 24, Issue 13

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 24, Issue 13
From: N5bbc@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:46:38 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2004 11:10:52 AM Central Standard Time,

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 09:21:28 -0500
From: "Jeff  Kelly" <jkelly@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and the  706 Electret Mike...
To: <eric.sensi@skynet.be>,  <tentec@contesting.com>

Actually I am  experiencing the same issue with my 705 and
Omni VI.  I will talk to  TT on Monday and get an idea of what
is happening.  My hand mic does  not cause this problem.

Jeff

KT2K

> I have a  question about the Orion and it's companion microphone, the  #706.
>
> 1. Sometimes (I say sometimes, not everytime !), when  the mic PTT switch
is
> engaged I have a strange behaviour with the  mic and the Orion... It seems
> that it's an HF feedback problem (but  IMO, it is not !) into the
microphone
> causing the s-meter needle to  go up full scale, the alc LED is then always
> on (not flashing) and I  can hear thru the speaker of the Orion a big
>  "Brrrrrrrrrrrr",

This has probally been hashed before but as a  relatively new TEN TEC
cultist, I'll probally reinvent the wheel many times.
  Had a similar problem with Omni  VI/3   & 705 mic.  Found that the shield
in the microphone  cable did not connect to chassis ground thru the mic. plug.
I added a wire  from the shield pin connection to the connector shell, just
brought it out with  the mic cord and connected it under one of the cord clamp
screws. This takes  shield to chassis ground when the microphone connector is
TIGHTENED. Also I had  some conductive spray coating (don't know where it came
from) that I sprayed  onto the inside of the mic base.  This rig seems to be a
little leaky  RF  wise, seems like my Triton IV had similar problems with RF.
  This was easier than opening the rig and making  connection to ground as it
should be.  Good Luck  Ed   N5BBC