Re: [TenTec] Corsair II PTO

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II PTO
From: Dave Moorman <dmoorman4@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:49:51 -0600

On Dec 7, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Paul DeWitte K9OT wrote:

My Corsair II will drift 4 or 500HZ until warmed up. Does a PTO rebuild take care of this? Or do you do rebuilds just because of the hard grease? I have no problem with the turning of the vfo just the drift.

This may be within spec, Paul. The manual says about VFO stability:

"Less than 15 Hz change per degree averaged over a 40 degree change from 70 to 110 degrees F after 30 minutes warmup."

This is not the plainest statement in the world, but it seems like what they are saying is that over a 30 minute warmup period, the temp in the VFO will climb from 70 F up to 110 F. During that warmup period, the frequency will change 15 Hz or less per degree F. Assuming the worst case scenario of 15 Hz per degree, then the drift would be 15 x 40 = 600 Hz. So your 400 Hz to 500 Hz drift, being less than 600 Hz, would probably be in spec.

"Probably", because to really know this, you'd have to know the temperature of the VFO after 30 minutes of warmup. If inside your Corsair II the temp only goes up to 90 F, that's only 20 degrees change and the allowable drift would be 300 Hz. At any rate, you are pretty close to spec.

The other aspect of this situation is that the PTO rebuild, as I understand it, is a mechanical rebuild which corrects mechanical problems like backlash and slippage but would have no effect on warmup drift.

The other thing I'm curious about is - why is less than half a Hertz warmup drift a concern? Digital modes?

Dave K9SW

Corsair 2
Argonaut 2
Scout