Re: [TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion Issues or Not - kinda long

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion Issues or Not - kinda long
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:48:02 +0200 (IST)
Grant Youngman wrote:
> More explanation?
>
> Do you mean that a complete sweep consists of 500 samples and that the sweep
> cycles at 1 full sweep every 2 seconds?
>
> And your second point is that T_T simply wiggles the display in between
> times to fake us out??  You may be right, but the first question I'd have to
> ask is what are you missing in your measurement? (I'm sure the answer will
> be nothing ... But that doesn't answer the question either) :-)

Here's the problem. An "instant" display of channel activity would only be
usefull in a digital or FM environment. If a sample is 10ms (100 per second)
asuming a given signal would show up at all in 3 samples, then there is
a less than 1 in 30 chance that a signal would show up at all. So when the
sweep is done, a timer would need to be started for each sample found.
A good time would be 5 seconds. If the timer expires without being reset
to 5 seconds by a sample with something there, it would be shown as blank.

This would give you a better idea of what is hapening on a band because of
the scanning.

A real time display would have to be a simultaneous display of each "channel"
which would cost far more than anything a ham could afford. Although a scanned
display, with a short enough refresh and hold time would work. I just don't
think it would be of much use telling you what's occupied.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem Israel gsm@mendelson.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838