Re: [TenTec] Orion - Work in Progress - Part 1

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion - Work in Progress - Part 1
From: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:51:30 -0600
N0KHQ gives some very interesting tips ... to make the new Ten Tec gear
be less "RFI sensitive" ... most of which is worthy of consideration until:

Some hams get a little confused when talking about Grounding for RF and
Grounding for Lightning protection. They are not the same and should be
addressed separately. Grounding for Lightning protection will do very little
or RF grounding. But Grounding for RF will help with Lightning protection.

Most ham radio books illustrate a typical station grounding system, where
you have this big copper plate or bar behind your station and every piece of
your equipment is supposed to be grounded to this bar and then a wire runs from
this bar outdoors to a grounding rod. This illustration is 100% totally wrong
and does result in the biggest ground loop in the history of Amateur Radio.

Gee, give the pros have it all wrong then? Check the Polyphaser site and others.

I would strongly suggest NOT ignoring local codes and such ... unless N0KHQ is
willing to personally replace anyone's gear that gets damaged from doing things as
he has described ... lots of his text is OK, but not the parapgraphs above. I would
suggest everyone conducting their own due diligence and see what the pros do ...

Season's Greetings to All,

73 Billy AA4NU