Re: [TenTec] What's an SDR?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What's an SDR?
From: SS409SS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:27:54 -0500
So a rig with an A/D convertor for transmit and receive qualifies it as
SDR. The first ham rig I can recall having those features would be the
TS-870. Being upgradable and having encoders for controls doesn't seem
to matter.
N4LQ

  Although the 870 includes the above, some of the features are embedded in
physical and traditional radio hardware. The SDR's are defined by software and
have such circuits which can be changed or "mode altered" if you will. Simply
thru the firmware or firmware revisions.
  For example, AM was added to the Pegasus thru a change in firmware. In the
Orion, just about every aspect of the rig can be altered thru firmware
upgrades. I think thats what they are getting at. Regards.. Richy N2ZD