[TenTec] Re: Decision Made

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Decision Made
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:34:42 -0800
KD7EFQ@aol.com wrote:

However after NOT seeing a CONSISTENT "it's all OK now" and seeing nothing but consistent controversy about Orion, I believe I will go with a new PRO III for my next rig if it's receiver specs are comparable to an Omni 5 or 6. I still think Ten Tec is an excellent manufacturer with a great history of rigs, (and I'm keeping my TT accessories) but I'm getting the feeling that Orion has become the Paragon of the 21st century, and not suited for my casual style of operating. Too many "loose ends" with it for me....

And what exactly is the problem with the Paragon? Here it is nearly 2005 and this Paragon at my station is a joy to operate with the only issue for me is the lack of computer interfacing :( .... and I guess I would classify myself as generally a 'casual' operator. So not sure I think that is a 'nice' comparison. However, I do agree that there is an awful lot of polarizing Orion talk. I'd been planning to eventually obtain an Orion since I first heard of them. Subsequently I have personally experienced a lot of SDR's current strenghts and weaknesses (I wrote about my exposure to SDR before) and I"m not convinced that SDR is a good alternative to plan old good descrete circuit design.... not yet anyway.

No, I haven't as yet tried an Orion (too much money for a test drive) but one may eventually find its way to my shack but probably not till they evolve more. If I had to rebuild my station today from scratch I would probably look for another Omni-V+/Paragon combo although I think an Omni-V.9/Paragon II combo would be more to my liking. I can, however, understand why KD7EFQ choose a Pro III. I have a couple hours of familiarization specifically with the Pro III (and I've used friends' 756, 756 Pro, etc) and the Pro III is an incredibly intuitive design with a quality feel... a very quiet and easy to listen to receiver.... what I would want and expect from Ten-Tec in an Orion!

So just what was so wrong with the Paragon? :)

'Tis the season to be jolly!'

73,
Jerald, KG6TT