RE: [Orion] Orion Threshold and RF Gain Settings

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [Orion] Orion Threshold and RF Gain Settings
From: n1eu@netscape.net (Barry N1EU)
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:05:07 -0500
N0KHQ@aol.com wrote:

>With version 1.372, just leave AGC threshold always at 0.37 uv  (lowest
>setting).  Adjust RF gain control for the point where background  noise just
>starts to drop.

I agree that you should go through and set all the thresholds quite low and
then don't touch them again.  However, I tend to adjust RF gain by increasing
it to just past where I can hear band noise.  In other words, I adjust it
bottom-up rather than top-down.  I tend to leave AF Gain constant at about 50%,
which seems to work well with my Heil headphones.

I tend to think that adjusting RF Gain to where background noise just starts to
drop would result in too much gain and the possiblity of audible distortion as
well as a general perception of a noisy receiver.

73,
Barry N1EU

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.