RE: I: [TenTec] Orion / ACOM 2000A problem solved

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: I: [TenTec] Orion / ACOM 2000A problem solved
From: n1eu@netscape.net (Barry N1EU)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:06:42 -0500
Frank are you saying that if VFO A and VFO B are on the same frequency and the
amp is tuned to that freq, you get an ARC fault if TX-VFOA and RX-VFOB and you
don't get an ARC fault if TX-VFOA and RX-VFOA, or is it a more complicated
scenario to induce an ARC fault?

73,
Barry N1EU

"I2DMI" <i2dmi@contestvolta.it> wrote:

>Hi Rick,
>I think you mean a single band (e.g. 14Mhz only) "bandpass filter" because a
>wide one (1-30Mhz) doesn't solve the problem.
>
>After a full power transmission with RX+TX on VFOA a strange ARCF event
>happens when I tried to tune after I have selected the RX (I said RX not TX)
>as VFOB.
>It seems illogical because the ACOM was previously tuned on the TX frequency
>and both displays show the correct TX frequency!
>Ciao Frank I2DMI
>

>Frank,
>
>Several have found a work-around by placing a bandpass filter (e.g.,
>Dunestar, ICE, etc.) between the Orion and the ACOM.  One guy actually used
>an MFJ-914 matchbox extender.  He found by setting it for an SWR of 2:1
>between the Orion and the ACOM, the Arc Fault failure ceased.
>
>The bandpass filter is an expensive fix and doesn't permit cross-band work.
>The matchbox extender would permit cross-band work.
>
>I'm not recommending you do any of this.  I'm only relaying what some others
>are doing to enable them to use their ACOMs with the ORION.
>
>AT THE SAME TIME, MANY PEOPLE ARE NOT HAVING ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL.
>(You guys in this group, consider yourselves lucky.)
>
>The mod you refer to improves the situation considerably, but several who
>have performed the mod report that they still get the ARCF problem too often
>to be satisfied.
>
>You can effectively desensitize the ARCF detection by placing a 50K Ohm
>resister from base to ground of the resistor which triggers the ARCF
>condition (i.e., Q13 on the 2000A) but ACOM is warning NOT to do this
>because it fears the protection may not be adequate.
>
>There are several people actively working the issue so maybe the "real" cure
>will be known soon.  When it is, it will be publicized here.
>
>73
>Rick

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.