Re: [TenTec] Frequency accuracy...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Frequency accuracy...
From: Martin AA6E <msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:48:23 -0800 (PST)
When tuning SSB, I like to use 100 Hz or even 1 kHz
steps.  If everybody's oscillators were well adjusted,
we could use 1 kHz "channels" and make life easier,
especially with nets.  Apparently lots of folks do try
to use an even kHz setting, but you still need to use
a lot of RIT to "clarify" them.

It won't happen soon, with all the old equipment out
there. To do the job right, you need accuracy of
better than say 20 Hz at all ham frequencies.

There are wonderful ways to synchronize with GPS,
Rubidium standards, etc.  But WWV is free and you've
already paid for the Rx.  An occasional tweak would
give the Orion at least +/- 0.2 ppm accuracy, which is
fine for HF.

73 Martin AA6E