[TenTec] Re; Adding 2.8 kHz filters to OMNI VI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re; Adding 2.8 kHz filters to OMNI VI
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:39:54 -0500
I have just installed an INRAD 2.8 kHz filter in the first IF of my OMNI VI and have gotten some improvement in the high frequency response. There is virtually no lower frequency output, however, and I guess this requires the other INRAD mod.

Question: what are the practical effects of an "unbalanced" SSB signal? As Barry has noted, there is an enclosure with the 2.8 kHz filter that says the carrier "may have to be balanced." I haven't done anything to balance the carrier and cannot notice any problem when listening to the OMNI in another receiver. What should I be looking for?

Also, I'm wondering whether buying the INRAD 2.8 kHz filter for the second IF is worth it. George says it tends to smooth out "ripple" in the audio. At this point I consider the OMNI's SSB audio OK. How much improvement would that second IF filter provide?

By the way, pulling that # 52 plug on the IF/AF board greatly improves the CW sidetone IMHO.

73,
John, W3ULS