Re: [TenTec] Re: From Omni V to Jupiter?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: From Omni V to Jupiter?
From: Dudley Hurry <jhurry@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:12:18 -0600
Peg,

Sounds like you had some RF backing up the TR control and getting into the rig. I have been running an Alpha 87a with my Jupiter for over 2 years on all bands with nothing changing in the radio.

Bill,

On the Jupiter itself, like Peg says it has great receive audio, and if you like to use a computer to control your radio, you can have a different "feel" and look for your radio by adding a computer screen. Many of these programs can add additional features that are not available through the front face of the radio. HamStation will give you three different settings of the attenuator, N4PY's SW will give you things like selectable modes like a SAM (Sync AM) which is great to listen to AM broadcast , SW and standard broadcast. And all the selectable filters and SSB bandwidths out to 8khz. HamRadio Deluxe gives you horizontal sliders to tune your frequencies kind of like the old NC300s. And don't forget the really handy remote pad that you can get for the Jupiter. With N4PY's software, you can control up to 15 different functions from the remote pad and a much better tuning knob than what's on the original Jupiter, but there are many that have purchased the upgrade knobs for the Jupiter to make the front face operation much better. Myself, I don't think that you need the tuner. The RF deck of the Jupiter will deliver full power into a higher SWR with no problems where other radios feel the need to fall back.

Maybe you would find the need to keep both, no the Jupiter is not perfect, but it doesn't cost $3000 either, and it will keep up with my ProII. and I like the audio on the Jupiter much better than the Pro.

Good luck and 73,
Dudley
WA5QPZ

At 10:48 PM 1/12/2005 -0600, Paul DeWitte K9OT wrote:
>From Peg KB9LIE:

Bill, I had a Jupiter w/built-in tuner. Actually still have it and like it
for the outstanding receive audio and general coverage receive. However,
when I added a TT Hercules II amplifier to the setup, it was time for a
different rig. I chose the Omni V since it matches my style and talents
pretty well, basically meaning no need for a top-class rig with a variety of
filter choices.

The Jupiter uses a "multi" control knob that adjusts both receive audio
level (volume) and power output. When using the Herc II, I kept adjusting
the Jupiter's power output when it was supposed to be the volume and vice
versa. My Herc wants about 45 watts drive, not 100!

So if you plan on using an amp, the Jupiter may not be the best choice.
Other than that, I would have kept it as my primary base rig.

73 de Peg KB9LIE in wet, muddy SW Wisconsin

PS: The Omni V was a top-class rig when it first came out, compared to
others available, or at least I'm told it was....