[TenTec] CW tuning with narrow filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW tuning with narrow filters
From: "Chuck Guenther" <ni0c@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:05:31 -0600
W4ZV wrote: "250 Hz is not very practical for general tuning."

For several years, I used an Inrad " 125 Hz"  filter in a TS-850S, and used
it for general tuning nearly 100 pct. of the time.  My operating style is S
& P; you'll rarely hear me call CQ.  It took some getting used to, but
worked for me. I seldom even used the fine tuning rate available on the 850.
Now with the Omni VI, I still often tune with my narrowest filter (250 Hz)
engaged; though this rig is more flexible (both in terms of selectable
filters and tuning rates) than the TS-850 was.

I didn't always like the narrow filters, though.  About 15 years ago, I
recall my first encounter with a very narrow CW filter (270 Hz in a TS-440
at a Field Day operation).  I hated it, and went home swearing I'd never use
such a narrow filter. .

Call me addicted to selectivity, but I do appreciate it.  (My Rx as a Novice
in 1959 was a National SW-54).

73,
Chuck  NI0C
.