Re: [TenTec] Jupiter

To: tentec@contesting.com, naturalreef@triad.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter
From: jerome schatten <romers@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:31:02 -0800
Dear Mr.Fish...

I too am a CW only guy. The Jupe has been the best CW rig on TX I've ever owned in 53 years of hamming. The receive side IMHO, could have been done better. I strongly suggest you try one if you can, before you buy.

That said, most of the receive difficulties can be overcome with the addition of an audio DSP box, something like the MFJ Super DSP. The rig's RX doesn't develop enough AGC to make listening to strong and weak sigs on the higher bands very comfortable without adjusting the audio level. The MFJ's audio agc added to the Jupe's overcomes that problem very nicely. The Jupe seems to be lacking a bit of gain on the higher bands -- 15, 17, 10, although in side by side A/B tests, the Jupe heard everything my FT-920 heard and was a whole lot quieter about it. There is an IF gain pot on the Jupe that can be tweaked to bring up the gain, but. still, something seems missing. The Jupe's noise reduction scheme introduces quite a bit of distortion on weak CW sigs, but the MFJ's variable noise reduction does not -- it works far better. The Jupe's IF noise blanker works reasonably but not nearly as well as the blanker in my FT-920. And finally, the 500 hz optional analog CW filter in the 920 provides better selectivity than the 300 hz digital filter in the Jupe. But, shifting the MFJ filter into the CW position and adjusting it along with the Jupe's PBT solves most of the 'near in' selectivity problems for me (I'm not a contester).

I've had my Jupe over two years and haven't sold it -- that says something. With the addition of the N4PY control software and a good DSP box, the Jupe seems a very respectable performer at a very good price. I had the DSP box hanging around, so I really didn't make an extra purchase. Made in the USA wasn't an issue for me as it is for you; I hope you don't shop at Wal-Mart.

With respect,
jerome -- VA7VV

----- Original Message ----- From: "fish" <naturalreef@triad.rr.com>