Re: [TenTec] Orion reset

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion reset
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:12:41 -0500
John,

Are you using a Ten Tec amp? Do you use it in the keying loop for QSK? If the answer to those questions is 'yes', then you probably do not have a defective unit. My Orion has been doing that for about 16 months now and is the primary reason I will not use it during contest.

There are two potential 'work-arounds'. One is to keep the spectrum scope turned off (recommended by Ten Tec). Second is to turn on BOTH keying loops, even though the second one is not used. This 'tip' came from W9GE and it is, so far, being successfully tried by several other hams who have TT amps in the Orion's keying loop. (TT say's turning on the second keying loop should have no affect.) (Ten Tec also says the random loss of RF output power from the Orion is a known firmware bug that they have not been able to track down yet.)

Good luck.

Tom - W4BQF

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Thompson" <jwt105@yahoo.com>