[TenTec] OmniV, OmniVI, VI+, option 1/2/3, and all that

To: <Jliving39@aol.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OmniV, OmniVI, VI+, option 1/2/3, and all that
From: <k7gt@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:27:10 +0000
The OmniV was a first attempt at microprocessor controlled radio. It was only
partially successful. Nonstandard computer interface, but a pretty good CW
radio, etc. Fixed offset/sidetone at 600 Hz.

OmniVI (original) improves considerably on the V. Great computer interface.
Both the V and VI are major breaks from
the early PTO-style radios (OmniA, OmniD from either A or B series, OmniC
('C-series'), Corsair , and Corsair II. So the
tuning is much finer being something like 5 or 6 kHz per rev instead of 18
kHz/rev. Stability is better, too, although
warmup still takes a few minutes. The PTO radios take 1/2
hour or more while the V and VI take 5-10 and then are
settled down. OmniV is the 562, OmniVI is the 563.

The OmniVI+ came out in the late 90s and featured an
additional filter position at the first IF (9.0). Also,
a DSP NR was added (and works well, although not really
equivalent to a Timewave 599ZX...). The VI+ was numbered
as the 564.

Shortly after the + came out, TT offered three options to
upgrade the OmniVIs out there (and there were many). The first two options were
equivalent and amounted to adding
the DSP NR. One was factory installed, the other user/owner-installed. Option 3
had an additional position
in the first IF and so is essentially equivalent to the
OmniVI+ (564) but still just says OmniVI on the front
panel. The option 3 was only done in the factory as it
required replacing two boards and the front panel. It
cost $275, as I recall.

Some folks make a big deal as to whether a radio is a
VI/opt3 or a VI+. As far as I am concerned, they are
equivalent. If anything, the opt3 radio has a better
CW note.

The OmniVI class radios have had a so-called microchirp
to some degree or another. A W9 (W9AC??) did a major
study on rooting it out. A common fix for the mostly CW
op, though, is to replace the main ssb filter (the 2.4 at
9.0 MHz) with an INRAD 754 (2.8 kHz at 9.0 MHz). Its
slightly wider bandpass keeps the CW signal from crossing
the knee of the filter and its phasing quirks which cause
(apparently) the microchirp.

I have two OmniVIs with the option 3 upgrade. They are
great radios. I have chosen to stick with them rather than
upgrade to the Orion. One of them has been advertised
for sale a few weeks/month ago but no takers at my
asking price of $1100 w/o filters or p.s. I will keep
it as a spare rather than give it away.

A few other thoughts. The older PTO rigs have some
quirks to be sure (AGC stinks, etc.) but my Corsair II
has received many, many unsolicited favorable comments on
its cw tone quality. A Corsair II (model 561) can be
found for about $400 in reasonable condx and are a great
buy for non-contest operating.

73  K7GT

almost a Tentec collector...

dit dit