[TenTec] Re: INRAD taking orders for OMNI VI roofing filter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: INRAD taking orders for OMNI VI roofing filter
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:01:32 -0500
Bill Tippett, W4ZV, wrote:

"      You are seeing the difference between a 4 kHz filter
(MP mod) versus a 600 Hz (Omni mod).  At 2 kHz spacings, the MP
has one interfering signal falling inside its +/- 2 kHz passband,
but at the same spacings, all signals fall well outside of Omni's
+/- 300 Hz passband."

True, but I also noted in my original post that the OMNI was much better
than
the mod MP even with the 2.4 kHz filter:

" ...  (79 dB DR for the
stock OMNI VI, vs 71 for the FT1000MP (79 for the more expensive
FT1000MP Mk V after modification).  But, the modified OMNI VI showed
94 dB DR with a 600 Hz roofing filter, 85.5 dB with a 2.4 kHz roofing
filter."

Yes, it will be interesting to see which is better, the ORION or OMNI VI
(mod),
in this regard.  Still, considering the extra filter flexibility, great
speech
processing, and the second (albeit, only JA quality) receiver, the ORION
is
still a great value.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9