Re: [TenTec] Fixed BFO freq = Fixed Beat Note

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fixed BFO freq = Fixed Beat Note
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:59:31 -1000
Hi Chuck,

But doesn't the "ST" (sidetone) adjustment on the OMNI VI also adjust the BFO frequency?

No. There are only five adjustments to the BFO and they are trimmer capacitors for "alignment" and not controllable by front panel controls or by the microprocessor or control systems. The only electronic controls to the BFO select one of five possible frequencies for CW TX, CW/LSB RX /LSB TX, USB TX/RX, FSK MARK, FSK SPACE. Two crystals, five trimmer capacitors and a bunch of switching diodes and transistors are used to select from the five possible frequencies.

Changing the ST (sidetone) on the Omni VI has to accomplish two things. Number one (the most obvious) is that it changes the frequency of the sidetone generated when you key the transmitter. This must be done by changing some "divide by" value somewhere in the control board or in the microcode running there. Thing number two that must happen is that the amount of shift in the 5.0-5.5 MHz PLL between TX and RX has to be set to the appropriate value, so that when you zero beat in incoming signal with your sidetone, your transmitted signal will be zero beat with the incoming signal.

The BFO frequency used for CW TX is 9.000400 MHz. The BFO frequency used for CW RX (same as LSB RX and TX) is 9.000000 MHz. The only case where there is no shift of the 1st LO PLL from TX to RX is when you have ST frequency set to 400 Hz, or in USB or LSB (I don't know about FSK I haven't done the arithmetic), all of this assumes RIT and XIT OFF or set to exactly zero. At any other ST frequency the PLL has to shift between TX and RX. For instance with the ST set at 700 Hz the 1st LO PLL is going to have to shift 300 Hz between TX and RX.

When the Omni is aligned properly, in CW mode the frequency display on transmit indicates where your CW "carrier" is and in receive it indicates the frequency of a received signal which is zero beat with respect to the CW sidetone, NOT the received frequency which is zero beat with the BFO. And if you are not operating split, or RIT or XIT they are the same frequency.

The ST frequency can only be adjusted from 400 Hz to 990 Hz, a range of 590 Hz. The factory default of ST = 700 Hz puts the zero beat (with respect to sidetone frequency) near the center of either the 217 500 Hz or 219 250 Hz filters. When using the 217 500 Hz BW 9 MHz IF filter, at the extreme ends of the ST range the received signal (that is zero beat with your sidetone) is right on the edge of the filter bandpass. You could not use this full range with a 250 Hz BW filter, and that is no doubt why Ten-Tec used to have the both 219 and the 221 filters, which are both 250 Hz BW but with different center frequencies.

By the way if you start doing the math to figure this out, you will notice that the BFO is on the low side for LSB and on the high side for USB. This is because the relative frequencies get inverted in the first mixer using high side local oscillator injection. USB on the "sky frequency" (to borrow from radioastronomy terminology) becomes LSB in the 9 MHz IF.

Your posting reminds me of another question that has nagged at me. Before I acquired my OMNI VI, I used a Kenwood TS-850S (which also had an adjustable sidetone/offset). However, I don't recall having to worry about the offset frequency of the IF filters-- even the narrowest of filters (270 Hz, 250 Hz, and 125 Hz). I'm not sure what design characteristic of the OMNI series radios requires us to purchase a first IF filter with a fixed offset frequency. Does this have to do with the OMNI being double-conversion versus triple-conversion?

It is really because the BFO is fixed, not variable. Since the ability to shift the 1st LO PLL is there, the only thing missing to give the Omni VI the capability to have adjustable ST AND keep the zero beat (with respect to the sidetone that is) received signal in the middle of the 9MHz filter bandpass, would be to have an adjustable BFO and some firmware to make to 1st LO and BFO track each other as the ST frequency is adjusted. It does not seem like too great a stretch of the imagination to make the BFO operate as a VCXO, the same way the 15.3 MHz oscillator does in the PBT part of the Omniv VI. The difficulty would be to get the offsets of the 1st LO and the BFO to track exactly, or at least very closely. A DAC driving the BFO VCXO and a conversion curve implemented in the firmware seems plausible. Collins used to do it with a clever mechanical linkage of the PTO and BFO.

When all the oscillators are digitally controlled this becomes easy. And then you can reduce the number of different kinds of filters you have to stock. Also the tolerances of the center frequencies of filters are not as critical, you can just program the rig to work with whatever filter you've got, within reason.

By the way, the number of conversions the receiver is really depends how you count them. If you count the down conversion from the 9 MHz IF to the 6.3 MHz IF and the conversion back from 6.3 MHz to 9 MHz as conversions, then it is at least a triple conversion receiver. And the down conversion from 9 MHz to audio in the product detector could also be counted to make it a quadruple conversion receiver. Historically from the days of AM detectors that last stage is not counted as a "conversion", even though using a product detector it really is a heterodyne conversion.

DE N6KB