RE: [TenTec] Paragon question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Paragon question
From: "Scott Prather" <sdprat@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:45:59 -0800
Paul-This problem is almost certainly related to the filter relays on the
LPF board.  Early Paragons used reed relays to select the LPFs, but this was
a pretty expensive approach.  As a result, in later units Ten-Tec started
using inexpensive frame relays instead.  I had a Paragon that would do the
same thing you describe only on the 80 M band, and lightly tapping the top
of the cabinet near the PA heat sink would bring signals back to normal.

The relays are available from Digikey, they only cost about $1.35 each.  If
you decide to replace the defective relay, I highly recommend that you
replace all 14, it's a lot of work to get the LPF board out and I can almost
guarantee that another one will probably fail if you leave the other
originals in place. However, check to see what type of relays you have
first.  You wouldn't want to replace all 14 if your LPF board uses reed
relays.

Scott
N7NB