Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ vs Kenwood TS-2000

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ vs Kenwood TS-2000
From: SS409SS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:02:34 -0500

  We can only help you compare the HF aspects of both rigs as the Omni
obviously lacks this feature. If convenience of having all bands is your bag
the the TS-2000 may appeal to you more.. If having a cutting edge HF radio
which is only rivaled by some of the best out there, then the Omni VI+ is the
right choice..

  I had the Omni V, VI and the plus and found the VI to have the quietest rx of
them all. The plus had some artifacts from the dsp processor running and this
somehow was evident in the rx AF path IMHO.. The radio had an RX just as good
as the VI but the noise added by the advanced DSP was evident although this
didnt have much of an effect on the overall rx quality, it was just there.. The
TS-2000 is a good rig, not the best that Kenwood had offered..

  The TS-870 is by far a better Kenwood HF radio as I found most of the
qualities of the TS-2000 to be ok or middle of the road in comparison.. The DSP
is good, the rx is good, TX audio is very good, the tuner is ok and overall is
a good value.. The Omni's I have mentioned are top notch HF rigs which will
give you RX characteristics which simply cannot be duplicated on other
platforms. The only radio I've found (of those vintages) that could compare and
came from another source would be the Yaesu FT1000.

  Others may have different opinions, please pass them along.. Richy N2ZD