Fw: [TenTec] TT (Orion) Future improvements!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [TenTec] TT (Orion) Future improvements!!!
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:18:27 -0500
From: "Maxwell Moon" <maxmoon@earthlink.net>
To: <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:00 PM
Subject: [TenTec] TT (Orion) Future improvements!!!

> Ron,
> I'm taking the odd step of writing you because I'm not on the tentec-list
at present (only the TT-516 list) & because your's is the most recent post
on the topic of Orion improvements. I have some thoughts on the subject & by
the time I get approved to post, this discussion will be nearly forgotten.
So I'm writing you on the long-shot that you might choose to pass one ormore
of my comments to the rest of the list. And you needn't pass my name, for
that matter.

> 1. The idea of freeing up CPU power by dropping the scope and/or the
sub-RX is interesting. Is that something that could be done via a download
from RFSQUARED? It would be misunderstood in some quarters--others might
wonder about my sanity if I "REDUCE" my rig's capabilities--but from what
I'm reading here, I suspect many owners would give serious thought to the
option of increased performance from 'turning off' the band-scope or sub-RX
or both. If possible.

> 2. When discussing a color screen & the possibility that TT mis-read
potential customers' desire I think we have to look back to the time of the
Orion's introduction. This list, for example, despite being populated by TT
fans & friends, did some venting over the 'deceptive' or 'misleading' price.
Remember people angrily posting comments like, It's not a $3300 rig, it's
really at least $3600 if you count the filters, or even $4000 with the ATU!!
That's something I remember.

> My point is that in today's world, where you can easily spend more than
twice the cost of an Orion (or 3 times its cost, very soon), the Orion is
much more likely to appear if not a bargain, then very good in bang-per-buck
terms. But there would've been much, much more indignation & outrage if TT
had introduced the Orion as a *true* $4500 or $4999 rig. (The "list price"
or MSRP had broken $4000 before the Orion but not the street price.)

> 3. The Orion price-feature-market niche discussion has come up a good
number of times. Would TT have been wiser to offer the Orion at $2999 but
without a bandscope? Or $4999 with color scope and packed with filters?
Interestingly, Yaesu is offering us a real-life experiment or laboratory.
With their forthcoming and somewhat modular 9000's available in 3
configurations, including no scope, lower power, etc., and color scope, more
power, etc., we will be able to infer some answers to these otherwise purely
speculative chats about the Orion.

> PS--I'm not in ANY way endorsing the Yaesu, or for that matter any IcKY
rig, just saying that their marketing strategy offers us an object lesson.
Or, if you prefer, a sort of Monday-morning-quarterback's tool for assessing
our friends in mgmt at TT.