Re: [TenTec] hamfest and new-ham rigs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] hamfest and new-ham rigs
From: Peg Haese <haesem@uwplatt.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:35:24 -0600
I was wondering when the subject of $500 new rigs would evolve to good used
rigs and now it has. New hams don't really need new rigs, there are lots of
decent entry-level used ones available. Sort of like getting a wonderful dog or
cat at the shelter instead of buying a puppy or kitten. And don't most young
drivers get a used car for their first one?

Word-of-mouth is the best way to find a used rig, or on-air local swapmeets.
You just have to buy from someone reputable. If you are new and don't know who
to trust about used local gear, start networking! The rig that was
top-of-the-line 20 years ago may still be a good rig. Just don't get an older
Omni if you like 17 meters (been there, done that, didn't get a warning).

I sold my nice Delta II to a co-worker who upgraded. I replaced it with a used
original-owner Yaesu FT-890AT for $375 after seeing it at a hamfest. The seller
is trustworthy. It's smaller, just as easy to use, has an internal tuner, yada
yada yada. No, it's not a TT but TT doesn't have anything comparable for mobile
or vacation DXing.

My Scout was a nice first HF rig and has been good to loan out to people I
trust not to abuse it. They get the mike when they pass 5 WPM.

My Omni V does NOT get loaned out. There are limits after all. The Jupiter was
loaned out to the fellow who ended up buying the Delta. Now he is dreaming of
an Omni VI+ someday, instead of a Yaecomwood.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Peg KB9LIE in SW Wisconsin