Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000 Product Test available

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000 Product Test available
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:10:45 -0800 (PST)
What I think you are seeing is the dynamic range limitation
of 16 bit sampling. The fact that the IMD DR3 dynamic range
is within a few dB of the theoretical limit for 16 bits I
find remarkable. You will also note that the difference in
both dynamic range specs for both 20 and 5 kHz spacings are
essentially identical. Again this exposes the limits of 16
bit sound card sampling. But it also suggests an exceptional
linearity for the QSD. So it appears that most of the
SDR-1000's RX performance limitations are the sound card used
and not the SDR-1000 hardware itself. This was not
unexpected. I also would not be surprised if the 2 kHz
spacing dynamic range performance is also about the same as
the 20 & 5 kHz numbers are.

The reviewers did not adequately indicate or stress
importance that those RX test number results are for a single
16 bit sound card tested. It will be interesting to see how
much better the numbers become when the PowerSDR software is
enhanced to use 24 bits @ 192 kHz sampling instead of 16 bits
@ 48 kHz that it now uses.

Duane
N9DG