[TenTec] HF pack portable operation with Ten Tec

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] HF pack portable operation with Ten Tec
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:02:52 -0500
it was great fun viewing Caity's Mizuho collection on her web site.
There seems to be nothing like these rigs on the market today. This is
strange, because the technology exists to make HF handhelds or slightly
larger multiband portables.

I propose that Ten Tec acquire the design rights from Mizuho, update the
designs to take advantage of modern IC's and replace whatever parts are
obsolete, and offer these transceivers in kit form.

HF CW/SSB kits cound do well in the marketplace. Look at what's
currently available:

                Most QRP  kits are CW only.
                K2 is sophisticated but costly.
                FT-817, costly and sophisticated.
                Argonaut V, not really a "packset"
                SGC 2020, a packset, but costly
                Ten Tec Scout, simple, rugged, not a packset
                MFJ SSB transceivers, CW is optional,  quality?

Yes, I can run my Scout for a few hours on a 7 Ah gel pack, but it would
take up most of the space in a day hiking backpack. The idea of an SSB
transceiver that only takes up one pocket in the pack is really
intriguing. Now something like the Tokyo High Power Labs 3 band HT would
be really great.

Here's another idea: At one time Ten Tec marketed a commercial crystal
controlled packset called a model 120. It ran 20 W pep and had a battery
pack that strapped on the back. Apparently it was designed to compete
with a similar unit produced by SGC. Supposed they took the basic
Argonaut V design and repackaged it into a portable?

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF