Re: [TenTec] T-T Argonaut 509 Offset Tuning & IF Filter Mod

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] T-T Argonaut 509 Offset Tuning & IF Filter Mod
From: "Ed Worst" <edworst@att.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:52:40 -0600
Hi Rich,

I just did some calculations using the data I found for the MV2201 in an old
Motorola Semiconductor Data Book I have on the shelf.  It looks like the
easiest way to increase your Offset Tuning range is to change C2 in the PTO
from 10pf to 1000pf.  This will give you approximately +6/ - 9 KHz tuning
range.  You would also have to retune the inductances per the manual to
reset the PTO frequency.  The +6/-9 is on 20m.  It would be double that for
80m and 15m, and triple that on 40m and 10m because of the multipliers used
in the 509.  I haven't looked very far into changing the varactor diode yet,
but what I've seen so far is that the slope of the tuning curves look pretty
similar, so this may not be the best way after all.  I'll keep digging, and
let you know what I find.  In the meantime, if you come across any
information about increasing the tuning range, I'd be interested in what you
find.

73,
ed - k9ew