Re: [TenTec] Popping Noise from Orion and Centurion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Popping Noise from Orion and Centurion
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:31:30 -1000
Toby Pennington wrote:

>I am experiencing an annoying popping noise ..... orion with the Centurion amp
>... only occurs when the amp is being keyed up and unkeyed.
>...into a dummy load noise is greatly reduced...  preamp brings noise back up
>.

Hi Toby,

Try turning RF drive to amplifier down to zero and key the rig with the
PA operating.
Still have the clicks?

If the clicks are still there when you're not really generating any RF
(unless maybe a parasitic osc.) I would guess there is some noise being
generated in relay coil current switching. Or you are noticing the
difference (however small) in the timing of the T/R relay timing when
the rx signal bypasses the PA along with some relay contact bounce.

If clicks go away when you are keying but not driving the amplifier,
then RF is getting into something that makes the pops, or keying the
load on the power supply is generating the pops.