Re: [TenTec] Popping Noise from Orion and Centurion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Popping Noise from Orion and Centurion
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:44:06 -0400
Tommy's right (per normal also).  I'd only add that some perspective is good.

On the lower HF bands, more loss on Rx is usually good -- or at least
neutral.  It means lower intermod distortion.  Your signal and noise
are normally well above the Rx sensitivity threshold.

On Tx, loss means heat.  Your 0.2 dB coax connector is dissipating
about 4% of your power -- 40 watts out of 1 kW.  That's getting near
what you need to unsolder your connector.

It's possible somebody couldn't make an 80 M contact because of 1 dB
(1/6 S unit) too much loss, but I don't think it's ever happened to
me!

73, Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net