[TenTec] LDG AT-100 Pro

To: "TenTec List (TenTec List)" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] LDG AT-100 Pro
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:36:04 -0700
Doug I don't think it's at all unusual for a tuner of this design to be
derated during the tune up cycle.  I use the LDG AT-11MP tuner with my Argo
V and the Ten-Tec 253 with my Omni V.9 and Herc II.  Both tuners specify
tuning below a threshold.  In the case of the 253 it specifies that 150
watts must not be exceeded during the auto tune cycle and the recommended
value is 50 watts.  Keep in mind that this tuner is rated at 2 kW maximum RF
power.

As for tuning accurately at low power, here I'm afraid your also off the
mark. The LDG tuner I own requires 5 watts minimum to tune and it does a
fine job!  I've checked it with my antenna analyzer.

In both cases I believe the reduction in drive during the tune cycle is, as
others have mentioned, to protect the "hot-switching" of the tuner relays
when a match is being sought.  After the match is set and switching is no
longer a problem you can crank up the power.

I think you'll enjoy the tuner - the noise of all the relays switching gets
your attention, but LDG makes a nice box.

73,

Rick
VE7TK

Website:  http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk