[TenTec] QSK-5 & Omni VI+ ??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] QSK-5 & Omni VI+ ??
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:03:52 -0700 (PDT)
I use a QSK-5 PC in my AL-1500 and a QSK-5 external
with my AL-80B.  I have used these amps with a
Paragon, a Pegasus and an Orion.  I have used both the
hand shake method and by just keying the amp using an
open collector from the radio to key the QSK-5.
Either way works fine. The QSK-5 switches much faster
than the Ten Tec does.

Presently I don't use the handshake with either rig
and have no trouble.  The only thing to look out for
if you  run without the handshake is to make sure the
open collector from your rig is actually hooked up.
If you send RF to the QSK-5 without switching it, you
will blow the lightbulbs that are used to fuse the RX
path.  If you blow the bulbs they are 12v 75ma bulbs.
Any 12v bubls from 50ma to 100ma will do.  If you use
the handshake it protects against this happening since
no RF gets out of the radio until the QSK-5 is
actually switched.

73  W9OY