[TenTec] New Orion owner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] New Orion owner
From: Bill Ogden <wogden@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:46:21 -0400
I have been reading comments in this group for some time (very interesting) and
received my new Orion last week.  My turn for a few comments based on first
impressions:

1. It would be nice to have an option to simply key the transmitter (at the
current power setting) by using the CW key while in SSB mode. (When I try to
set this up, the Orion is muted by the key but no output is produced).  In my
case this would help with my amplifier tuning.

2. It would be nice to have the Orion "save" the setting for the internal keyer
whenever one of the SEND functions is used and then restore the setting when
the SEND message ends or when the external key is hit.  I prefer to use a bug
and this appears not compatible with the SEND functions.

It certainly takes a while to learn to balance the HIGH CUT/LOW
CUT/PBT/BW/Equalization for various modes. I am still learning.  When things
are right, the rig sounds great.  When they are not right the audio seems
distorted, shrill, muddy, etc, depending on the various settings.  I cannot
think of any shortcuts, although I wonder if the "feel" of the rig would be
improved by changing the HIGH CUT and LOW CUT so they they only change the
effective equalization without affecting the bandwidth.  This would seem more
intuitive to me.

---------------------

Question: Does anyone know if the Orion power supply (963) is compatible with
the new PWRgate (PG40S) from West Mountain Radio?  That is, is the power supply
voltage high enough to effectively charge an AGM battery through this device?
Is it suitable for running the rig directly from the battery while using the
Orion power supply to charge the battery via the PWRgate?  (Somewhat like
described in QST a year or so ago.)

Can I join the tentec discussion list without receiving each update via email?

Thanks,

Bill
W2WO