Re: [TenTec] cw creation

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cw creation
From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:07:19 -0400
The DSP stage in many modern rigs actully contains the entire radio. The
rest of the rig converts the DSP's output to the right frequency. SSB, FSK,
CW, AGC, Detection is all done inside the DSP stage. The input and output
frequency of this DSP stage varies. The Jupiter/Pegasus DSP uses 11 khz for
I/O. This means that the other conversion stages in the rig must convert the
ham bands down to 11 khz for reception and back up for transmission. When
you tap the cw key, you are actually causing the DSP to run a process that
results in the DSP stage outputing an 11 khz carrier. This carrier is then
converted to the ham bands and amplified. This is a far cry from "feeding
audio into a mic. jack"! It is a computer process. The DSP could be
programmed to quack like a duck when you hit the key. It's all in the
software.
Contrast that process with what Collins was doing. They simply used the
sidetone to generate a sine wave and fed that into the modulation chain. Any
hum or distortion that developed in the chain got transmitted. I remember
hearing a 32s1 back in the mid 60's and it sounded like someone slapping a
wet fish on the sidewalk.
Am I making sense?
Steve Ellington
N4LQ@iglou.com