[TenTec] FS: N4SU's Omni VI and 962 Power Supply

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] FS: N4SU's Omni VI and 962 Power Supply
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:24:48 -0400
W3KC wrote:
 >does the 563 have any of the factory upgrades or is it stock?

         It is stock...no upgrades, although Option 001
chips are still available from Ten-Tec for $75.  Dave had
literature on the Omni VI+ but apparently decided against
that or a VI upgrade (and he could easily have afforded
either).  Dave used a separate Autek QF-1 on the Omni's
audio output which he felt was a better solution for him.
Dave had some hearing loss, used hearing aids and had
specially modified his QF-1.  The next time I'm up there
I'll check and make sure it is available if anyone wants
it.

         While on this subject, here's my opinion on Omni
upgrades.  IMHO Inrad's 600 Hz roofing filter kit ($175 total)
is a much better investment than any other upgrades.  If I
were buying an Omni VI of any flavor myself, I would likely
opt for the following:

Model 563 Omni VI (no upgrades, no VI+).
Inrad 600 Hz Roofing Filter.
#282 and #285 6 MHz filters only.

With the Inrad Roofing Filter, this would make an outstanding
CW rig.  I believe the optional 9 MHz filters are redundant,
and probably not buying you much if anything in performance.

         The main reason I would not want an Omni myself
are limitations on Pitch settings.  I like to vary my Pitch
depending on the situation (rag-chewing, weak signal DX-ing,
contesting, etc).  I sometimes prefer Pitch much lower than
the minimum 400 Hz in Omni.  I've also been spoiled by the
Pitch control in both the TS-930S and Orion since both
automatically center all filters on any selected Pitch,
and both allow adjusting Pitch to very low tones.  But an
Omni/Inrad would run circles around the 930's front end and
would likely be similar to Orion's.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV