Re: [TenTec] hiss hiding, was Omni C vs Corsair II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] hiss hiding, was Omni C vs Corsair II
From: Ynkedragon@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 22:29:51 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/2005 19:21:25, n4lq@iglou.com writes:

<< The Triton through the Omni series were all quiet receivers. Narrow xtal
filters were added to the Triton to make it an Omni. On the Omni C, a small
transistor amplifier kicks in when using the 500hz cw filter. This adds just
a touch extra noise. Otherwise, the Triton and Omni are neck and neck for
noise. Being single conversion rigs, they had few mixer stages thus less
opportunity for noise.
. . . .  Then came the Corsair II. Still had the extra noise but they added a
tone
control. Turning this control to minimum treble cut down on the
hiss.....some. >>

Thanks for explaning why I always preferred listening to my Argosy (with
narrow filters) as opposed to my Corsair II.

<<Man you talk about quiet! Some day I hope others follow this
lead and perfect it.>>  Have you had the chance to listen to a K-2?
(I haven't)

73,  Blair k3yd