[TenTec] comparing ten tec transceivers to ten tec transceivers

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] comparing ten tec transceivers to ten tec transceivers
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:03:31 -0400
hola..

yesterday I had some extra goof off time in the shack.

I connected my Jupiter, Argonaut V and an old Ten Tec Delta II to the
same antenna via a coax switch.

I found a weak signal on 18.156.10 mHz.

tuned all three to the same frequency. Here's what I noticed.

The jupiter could just barely hear the signal. No s-meter at all. The
audio had to be up to 96% to hear the guy. At normal operating audio
levels, you would have tuned right through this station not knowing he
was on the the air.

The Argonaut V was showing a solid S-3 signal and you could hear and
understand every word he said

The Delta II knew the something was there, but you could not get enough
audio to understand what was being said.

SInce the audio drive on the Jupiter had to be up to almost 100% to
recover audio, had this signal been CW, the sidetone would have made
your ears bleed without turning the audio drive down first. That would
have been most unpleasant.

I was surprised how well the Argonaut V heard the same station.
Especially when you consider the Argonaut V is alleged to have the same
basic receiver design as the Jupiter.

I was also surprised how badly the Delta II did.

I do not own any Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu equipment to compare my ten
tec radios with using the same test.

I do know, the Jupiter's receiver performance is a real let down on
anything above 14 mHz.

It sure would be nice to see ten tec come out with something better
than the Jupiter, but less than the Orion.

mike, wb8vge

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop