Re: [TenTec] My new Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My new Orion
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:26:29 -0000
Mark

I apologise if I am repeating what has already been said but I saw your mail
and having just returned from Dayton, I have a bunch of stuff still to catch
up on.  Anyway fwiw.

Unless your Orion is faulty, the overload problem you see is not caused by
hardware. I can say that quite categorically, because the effect was not
apparent before 1.372.  Personally, I wouldn't waste time looking at D30/D31
or the front end devices.

Orion has two agc loops.  One of these controls the gain of the analogue
front-end circuitry and the other the dsp back-end.  These are necessary
because the dsp i/f itself does not have adequate dynamic range to cope with
the range of signal levels we experience.

Firmware 1.372 combines adjustment of analogue rf gain together with dsp
gain using the single rf gain control.  This has been done in an attempt to
make adjustment of the Orion rx less fiddly and intimidating.  The problem
is that the algorithm used to make the adjustment is imperfect.  The
consequence is this is that the dsp gain can be set too high and therefore
overload in that part of the circuitry can occur.  I believe the new V2
firmware will resolve this.

Whilst intuitively it seems a nonesense to believe the overload is a product
of the firmware, this is nonetheless the case.  As has been suggested
already, the hardware is pretty much rock solid as evidenced by the various
reviews which have been carried out by third parties.  A temporary
regression to firmware 1.371 should confirm this for you.

Of course, if your findings are at odds with the above, then conceivably you
have a hardware problem with your Orion and I am sure Ten Tec will be able
to help.  More likely, you will find what I have described.

73  Bob, 5B4AGN