Re: [TenTec] Orion NR on SSB

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion NR on SSB
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:48:16 -0500

>          Don't blame me. :-)  See #2 (and #3) below:
>
> http://dayton.akorn.net/pipermail/orion/2003-October/000000.html

You're right -- but then your comments weren't directly related to NR.

Contests are one thing.  Otherwise, I generally leave the radio pretty wide
open (3+ Khz).  I'd rather put up with a little side chatter and have a
nicer, rounder, more pleasant signal to listen to --  presuming the guy on
the other end doesn't sound more like a parrot than a person.

(I digress) Speaking of parrot screech, Bob Heil actually stated out loud
that the HC-4 was a "horrible sounding" mic element.  I couldn't agree more,
even if it does have it's uses.  On the plus side, it has NO low end, so the
NR issue doesn't exist when listening to one. I just wish guys would turn it
off when the contest is over ;-)  But I finally found a Heil product I like
-- the new PR-40 is a GREAT mic.  My RE-20 is probably on its way to the
block. (End of digression).

If you're listening to a good signal, with a reasonable bandwidth and some
low end, and then crank in NR when conditions are the pits, you get that
muffled bassy sound.  It just hadn't occurred to me to narrow things down
some and shift the passband a bit to compensate for the NR effects.  I tend
to be a bit slooow :-)

Grant/NQ5T