[TenTec] re should i buy an orion now

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re should i buy an orion now
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:55:32 +0000
<<<I just can't see any viable reason to not try/own an Orion. Especially
any technical reasons.>>>

I'd go through the reflector archive for the past 2-3 years and look at what earlier purchasers went through.

If you have a lot of free time to tinker, maybe it's okay. For example if you are retired and have a lot of patience maybe it's okay.

I'm pretty low on time and patience. I want dependability. I want to be able to unbox the rig, power it up, hook an antenna to it, ground, mic, key, cans...whatever i need, adjust collector PA current and mic gain, adjust AF/RF gain, tune around, hit the PTT button and start making contacts.

If it's much more involved than that, or its behavior mysteriously changes from one day to the next on a regular basis, then I start loosing interest.

So the likes and dislikes probably have as much to do with operator personality as anything else.

TenTec mailing list