[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TenTec] re should i buy an orion now

To: doon@infoscientific.com,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re should i buy an orion now
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Reply-to: kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:29:44 -0700
List-post: <mailto:tentec@contesting.com>
>For these reasons I'm holding off my Orion purchase until v2 of the firmware 
>comes out and 
>the Orion owners/users/abusers have their say. I don't demand a *perfect* 
>Just one that doesn't hang or require a HW reset because I twiddled a knob the 
>wrong way -
>one that works reliably and predictably when I want it and when I need it.
>Harry Reed, AB7YF
And then are you waiting for version 2.5? version 3.0? The problem with 
having a firmware updateable transceiver is that in general people won't 
feel it is completed until it does what they want it to do or the 
manufacturer stops supporting it (I am NOT starting any rumors!). With 
other, more conventional, hardware dependent transceivers people just 
live with what they get till something that much better shows up then 
they get that version 2.0.... Hmmmmm IC-756, IC-756 Pro, IC-756 Pro II, 
errrr IC-756-Pro III.... are all upgrades aren't they? Let me think, the 
upgrade from Pro II to Pro III cost about a thousand dollars.... Gets 
you thinking.

Jerry, KG6TT
TenTec mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>