Re: [TenTec] OT: Lightning and Grounds

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Lightning and Grounds
From: "GARY HUBER" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 07:32:51 -0500
Lightning - NEC - Grounding

After going to "school" to receive training on the "National Electrical Code"
and  "Lightning and Protective Grounding", I came home and immediately did the
following to my home electrical system and and ham shack;
1) made sure the main distribution panel (primary electrical breaker box) had a
bond between the neutral and ground. 2) made sure the ground lug of the breaker
panel was bonded to both the outside "driven" ground rod and the cold water
pipe. (no water meter and the well water supply runs in PVC, the well casing is
PVC, but the 220 VAC submersible pump is 150' below ground surface with 50' of
water above it) 3) I put a 8 foot copper clad ground rod in each basement sump
hole, bonded them together with bare # 10 copper and also bonded them to the
cold water pipe. 4) added a grounding conductor between the sump hole ground
rod in the basement shack and the electrical outlets ground (third wire,
mechanical ground) in the shack - the other end of course runs to the breaker
box with the phase and neutral conductors and terminates on the breaker box
ground lug. 5) ran heavy braid from the ground rod to each piece of radio
equipment with a ground lug. (3, 4, and 5 prevents potential differences
between the electrical panel ground, the chassis ground, and "earth" ground) 6)
the 50 foot Rohn 45 tower has a 8' ground rod at the bottom of the 3' hole
bonded to the tower legs. 7) the rotor mast at the tower top is bonded with old
Belden RG-8 cable to a ground rod driven near the tower base and the tower leg
the RG-8 runs down is also bonded to the driven ground rod. 8) the tower
grounds are bonded to the cold water pipes 9) the HV-2 is mounted on a 8' mast
driven into the septic leach field with about 1800 feet of 66' number 18 gauge
radials on the ground (the RG-8 type cable shield brings this ground to the
shack)

I have seen evidence (metal erosion at the highest point of the rotor mast)
that there has been static dissipation through the tower and station ground. I
try to make sure that all equipment is unplugged and the feedlines are
disconnected during storms (front end protection) but all ground connections
are left in place. Additionally I have not gotten around to disconnecting or
having a way to disconnect the HAM IV rotor cables from the the rotor control.
All the feedlines and the rotor cable run down the inside of the tower legs to
the ground surface. I believe that all aspects of my station wiring and home
electrical grounding is in compliance with the National Electrical Code. As
stated earlier, we do get lots of electrical storms here in this part of
Illinois, I've experienced a number of near by lightning strikes (less than a
quarter mile) but in the past fifteen years, the installation has either worked
or I've been very lucky.

73,

Gary - AB9M - www.csm-gh.com<http://www.csm-gh.com/>