Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Front panel maintenance

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI Front panel maintenance
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:46:05 EDT

Don Rasmussen wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I just received the  most beautiful OMNI VI+ from a ham
>friend who has upgraded to  Orion.
>
>It is so pristine that aside from loading the  Inrads
>in it I hardly want to put a screwdriver near it. But
>the  500 hz filter button has been pressed alot (might
>be a CW guy?) and could  be replaced.
>
>It appears that the front panel of the radio  somehow
>swings down from the chassis, possibly for
>maintenence.  Does anyone remember from the days of
>OMNI VI upgrades, just how much of  a project it is to
>replace filter buttons, and how far apart the  radio
>must be disassembled to do this?
>
>Thanks,
>Don  Rasmussen WB8YQJ/6
>Carlsbad,  Ca.

The buttons are on one large panel assembly... sort of a sandwitch.  You
can buy a replacement for the entire assembly from Ten-Tec for $20+  or
so. I did last year. Getting at that panel requires that you remove  the
front panel completely. Mostly an easy task but you will have  to
unsolder the wires to the phone jack and the mic connector.... the  rest
unplug. Careful on reassembly as the small LED's have to line  up
PERFECTLY!. Overall not too bad of a job

73,

Jerry,  KG6TT