Re: [TenTec] was - "Radiates like Crazy"???? No

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] was - "Radiates like Crazy"???? No
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 15:47:57 -0700
While I highly respect Bob's opinion and have learned a lot from him about
home-brewing baluns, I feel his recommendation is the second choice I would
make (when starting from scratch).

If you already have an asymmetrical tuner (a.k.a. T-Match), then indeed do
exactly as Bob recommends.  There's no better way.

If you are starting from scratch and haven't bought a tuner yet, then I
would personally prefer to buy a true symmetrical tuner and not use any
balun at all.  Luckily these symmetrical tuners are available from a
multitude of sources these days.

If you need a balun for your existing unsymmetrical tuner, Bob's "Monster
Balun" (as I call it) is probably the very best thing you can possibly do.

My 2 cents worth.

Now, for 80 thru 10 meters:

What works good: 2x 13m dipole.
What works better: 2x 17m dipole.
What works best: 2x 20m (a full size 80m dipole)
What also works: 2x 10m (though still good, will be OK, but noticeably
weaker than all of the above on 80m but do just fine on all other bands).

For 160m, you need a minimum of 2x 30m to get a good signal out.
This still works great for 80 and 40 but for higher frequencies you begin to
get strange lobes, so do as Wes recommends and model it to be sure you get
what you need.  Better yet, place a jumper in each leg, or use a second
radiator, or both.

73
Rick