Re: [TenTec] Component Lifetime

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Component Lifetime
From: john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:35:19 -0400
>Regarding parts obsolescense:  There is no 'checking the lifetime'
>of a component >like the DragonBall processor.  No electronic
>manufacturer provides a life expectancy for any particular component.

      I have the greatest of respect for TenTec, but I can't let this
one slide by.  By all means, one *can* "check for lifetime" of a component.
I'm a Components Engineer and do this type of work routinely in support
of a new product development cycle.  While this is certainly not done
for every part, it's always done for parts that are a primary part of a
product architechture, such as a micro.

      I understand that TT may not have the same market clout that
Motorola, Nokia, GM and others have, when it comes to *dictating*
a components lifecycle.  On the other hand, even as a relatively
small company a relationship with suppliers/manufacturers can
be developed to minimize the number of these surprises.
We do it every week.

73
John K5MO