Re: [TenTec] The future of The Orion I

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The future of The Orion I
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:47:17 -0400
I agree with most of this.  One upshot is that if they get features
working on O I, they should work even better on O II, because the
faster processor gives more "headroom" for processes to run.  On the
other hand, TT may be tempted to implement new fancy features that
will run on O II but not on O I, because of limited CPU resources, and
the firmware may diverge for the two radios, with O I getting more and
more orphaned.

One thing I would look for in the O II color display is how they
implement it.  Does it have enough resolution to offer pleasing
antialiased fonts like your PC does?  Will they use colors in an
intelligent way to group functions and indicate status?  I can imagine
some unpleasant color renditions of the O I display.  Remember the old
CGA 8-color graphics?  (They wouldn't, would they? :-)  I'd like to
see a screen shot.

73 Martin AA6E