Re: [TenTec] Orion and DRM

To: <g.crosta@tin.it>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and DRM
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:21:22 -0400
I have done (and it works well) using the open source DReaM software (which
I couldn't find in binary form the last time I looked on the web).  I think
there may be licensing issues for the binaries.

As for connection between the Orion and PC, it was very simple. There is a
cable that routes the 14 kHz IF from the sub-receiver board to the DSP
board. It uses TMP style conectors, as do all the RF/IF cables in the Orion.
There is also a TMP socket on the inside back of the Orion which goes to the
SPARE phono jack on the back of the Orion. It's just a few centimeters from
the 14 kHz IF socket on the sub-receiver board. I built up a short Y cable
with a TMP plug on each end and a TMP socket in the middle. I unplugged the
14 kHz IF cable from the sub-receiver board and ran my Y cable from the
sub-receiver board to the Spare connector. Then I plugged the 14 kHz IF
cable into the TMP socket on the Y cable.  I ran a cable straight from the
SPARE phono jack on the back of the Orion to my sound card input. This
required no soldering on the Orion and is completely reversible. At one
point last  year, TenTec was talking about making these Y cables and selling
them, but I've never heard any more on that.

I understand that the original commercial DRM software (which appears to be
no longer be available from DRM.ORG) used a 12 kHz IF so you had to adjust
the Orion's tuning to compensate for the 14 kHz IF, but the DReaM software
has no problem finding the DRM signal at 14 kHz. I just tune the
sub-receiver to the indicated frequency of the transmission.  When
propagation is good, the signal quality is excellent. I found that with my
OCF 160m dipole (Carolina Windom 160), signals were sometimes too strong for
good reception. If you have a good signal, but have trouble getting it to
decode, try reducing RF gain.

73,
Mark