Re: [TenTec] FW: 565 Orion v2.0 firmware released to beta testers

To: <wc1m@msn.com>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FW: 565 Orion v2.0 firmware released to beta testers
From: "Glassrus" <glassrus@houston.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:59:50 -0500
>Also, I would contend that beta testing an Orion requires considerably more
technical expertise than testing a release of AOL's software. How many Orion
owners out there have spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, frequency counters,
etc., and know how to use them? How would the average Orion owner react to
significant problems with a beta test version? IMHO, not well.

Dick's Right. After all, how many Hams who spend $3000+ on a rig know how to
use, let alone own a frequency counter, or an oscilloscope?  I'm sure these
tools are constantly being used by the valiant Beta Testers struggling
against insurmountable odds to evaluate the latest version of a software
upgrade on a hardware platform that will not be changed.

I certainly cannot speak for all "average" Orion owners, but I know that in
my life, when faced with significant problems, I have found that kicking the
dog, sucking my thumb, and hiding in the closet seem to help.

Thank you Dick for protecting me from myself.  If I were a Beta Tester, I
might do something wrong, and have to do a Master Reset on the Orion, which,
without a spectrum analyzer, I would not have the technical expertise to
perform, and would have to send the rig back to the factory.

I propose that since Dick is clearly so much more qualified than the
"average" Orion owner, he implement and promulgate standards and practices
for Beta Testers.  Of course, with such work and responsibility, I think we
should give Dick in the recognition he has so obviously earned.  I think we
should all recognize him for what he is, a Master Beta Tester.

Paul Rubin N8NOV