Re: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000
From: Harry Reed <doon@infoscientific.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:44:51 -0700
Hi all,

While I agree that TT probably should not release source code for the Orion
firmware to
the F/OSS community, how about releasing a hardware spec that the F/OSS
community could
code to? Granted the schematics for the Orion have been released and it *may*
be possible to
garner enough info to figure out how to program the thing, why not just release
the
specs needed so that we could write the software ourselves? Considering the
sheer amount
of resources in the F/OSS community the Orion could have a very long life
indeed! While
the software would no longer be TT software or even TT derived software,
if/when TT
decides to stop updating the Orion (as it apparently has with the RX-350 and
Jupiter)
that new firmware upgrades could continue to be produced via the F/OSS
community.

73
Harry Reed, AB7YF