Re: [TenTec] Noisy Receiver

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noisy Receiver
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:43:51 -0500
Very normal for the Duet machines (and others) to produce RFI.  The control
system is a chopper developing a 3 phase control for the motor.

Whirlpool is aware of the problem and I understand will supply a filter if
they are pressed hard enough.  Most dealer service staffs do not understand
the magnitude or the technical aspect of the issue.  Whirlpool says they are
not liable for the problem as their control system does not require
certification under Part 15.

To fix it yourself,  add some ferrite donuts to the line cord very close to
the machine.  This will require a bit of surgery on the cord, perhaps to
remove it from the machine, wrap the cord through the donut several times
and then reconnect the cord inside the machine.  Typically, it is conducted
RFI which is radiated by the house wiring.

I'll inquire of a specific incidence which was corrected.

73
Bob, K4TAX