Re: [TenTec] Whirlpool Duet RFI

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>,"Don Rasmussen" <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Whirlpool Duet RFI
From: "knesbitt" <knesbitt@nucleus.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:03:45 -0600
As some may recall I reported a similiar situation with my neighbours
Neptune washer a short while ago. I am still attempting to resolve the issue
through formal channels however it would appear Maytag has shut the door on
further communications with me. I am in the process of having Industry
Canada's engineering group evaluate the severity of the problem after
submitting interference measurement data. Maytag's customer support has been
nothing but evasive and contradictory in their responses to me. At one stage
they claimed to have FCC type acceptance for the Neptune product line. When
pressed for the compliance number they simply refused to provide it. All
matters are being handled at this point through the Federal Dept. Apparently
Maytag's Canadian tech representative has been in touch with I.C. however I
do not know the details of this exchange at present. It looks to be a
up-hill battle but be sure I plan to ride this one to the end. Saying that
however, I concur with Bob and others, much of the common mode noise riding
on the neutral and hot side conductor can be removed through the application
of a combination of type-31 bead ferrite's and the larger (2.5") torroid
choke filters attached to the ac-line cord. I've found that this will reduce
the harmonic interference generated by the motor controller by 80-95%
(depending on band)  As a test,  I've built and wound a dualcore torroid
filter onto the a/c line (email for part details) and it's proven to works
very well in spite of being external to the washer enclosure. This allows
for the removal of some of the additional Snap-ON split bead ferrites which
otherwise start to look a bit messy. As well, I have installed a APC
11-outlet Surge Protector (PF11VT3) on the washer's line. This unit is
spec'ed to have a certain degree of RFI filtering (per leg), however I have
not had opportunity to test the unit in/out of service on the neighbours
machine to determine the degree to which it attenuates at the lower hf
frequencies.
I had planned on reporting back to my original thread on the rfi reflector
however this post was opportune for an update. It would appear we're going
to start seeing allot more of this noise sources popping up. Given the poor
response from the manufacture, I figured I'd better have a home grown
solution in place. God help you if you run into a neighbour (or xyl) who
doesn't want their expensive new washing machine messed with.

Kirb,  VE6IV