[TenTec] Rig switching

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Rig switching
From: JACrux <G3JAG@patents.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:06:09 +0100
For years now I have used a pair of ancient Heathkit 4-way coax switches
back-to-back. I did retro-fit them with C connectors but I need not have
bothered - the isolation between outlets is not all that good. It works well
with my K2 and Omni-V/Hercules 2/263 ATU combo and 2 antennas plus a dummy
load. And I have spare outlets for another rig/antenna. The only coax switch
I have here with good isolation (unused outlets grounded) is a "CX201" -
maker unknown.
The Ameritron remote coax switches can be configured to ground unused outlets,
but are more expensive. How many kW and much isolation do you need ?? If you
can find a ceramic or even phenolic rotary switch which shorts inactive
contacts, you may be able to roll your own. The bump in the SWR is not likely
to be enough to worry about.
John G3JAG