Re: [TenTec] Hercules II

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <n4nt_m_o_hyder@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:31:00 -0400
The first Hercules was the model 444.  Its fan is temperature controlled --
sounds like a small Lear jet when the amp is idle and like a 747 in full
reverse when it gets warm.  Mine caught fire due to oscillations.  When they
fixed it, they said it was the last one they would work on.  Dunno if they
held to that because I got rid of the thing ASAP.  The buyer wanted the
shell to install Motorola RF power strips (modules).

The 444 Hercules switch bands with a stepping relay driven by the Omni-C.  I
don't know about earlier Omni rigs or the first Corsair, but I do know that
there was no provision to do bandswitching with the Corsair II.  The 444
Hercules does have a bandswitch so it can be manually switched.  It also has
many, many protection circuits (but no smoke detector).

I respectfully suggest that if you do not already own a 444 Hercules, that
you remain in that state; but if you already own one, you strive to achieve
the former state.

73, Mike N4NT