[TenTec] C21 Sidetone Mod

To: TenTec <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] C21 Sidetone Mod
From: Ed <w3nr@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:29:22 -0400
This is from an article originally written by Bob Borum KN4JJG. I had no
luck finding him or the original article via QRZ or Google. What I have
is a very old, almost unreadable copy of the article.

The sidetone frequency is controlled by R1 (68k) on the 80356 board. He
suggests paralling a 47k with R1. Or you can remove R1 and use a
variable to find a suitable value and substitute that for the original.
I just added the 47k and that was close enough for me. Be careful, I
have found other C21's already had changed the value of R1 to fix this
problem.

I also have a hand written how-to on adding a pre-amp to the RX. I did
this mod also and it made a remarkable improvement to the C21's
sensitivity on all bands, most noticabbly on 10-15-20. This how-to is
dated 2-13-78 and was written by Dick Frey W1FCC/K4XU then the Chief
Engineer at Tentec. It is a decent readable copy and I will be glad to
share a copy for an SASE. It is 4 hand written pages.

HTH.

73

Ed W3NR